What is the origin of the Catholic Church?
The Roman Catholic Church contends that its origin
began with Jesus Christ and His Apostles, namely Peter. They say that there is an unbroken line of Pope's that began with Peter, and had many "church fathers" in the centuries after Christ which led to the "official" establishment of the Church in 325 AD. In this article I will prove to you that this is entirely false. Even a cursory reading of the New Testament will reveal that the Catholic Church does not have its origin in the teachings of Jesus or His apostles. In the New Testament, there is no mention of the papacy, worship/adoration of Mary (or the immaculate conception of Mary, the perpetual virginity of Mary, the assumption of Mary, or Mary as co-redemptrix and mediatrix), petitioning saints in heaven for their prayers, apostolic succession, the ordinances of the church functioning as sacraments, infant baptism, confession of sin to a priest, purgatory, indulgences, or the equal authority of church tradition and Scripture, and many other false doctrines, rituals and practices. So, if the origin of the Catholic
Church is not in the teachings of Jesus and His apostles, as recorded in the New Testament, what is the true origin of the Catholic Church?
Attempt to abolish Christianity failed in the first couple centuries after Christ
For the first 280 years of Christian history, Christianity was banned by the
Roman Empire, and Christians were terribly persecuted. The earliest Christian martyrs were tortured and killed by Roman officials enforcing worship of the emperors.
This is the time of the slaughter in the "games" you have probably heard about in the Roman Colosseum. They rounded up Christians and put them in the arena and slaughtered them with Gladiators and animals.
But the Romans could not succeed in wiping out Christianity and it grew despite the slaughter.
By 250 there were many high ranking Christians at the very heart of the Roman imperial establishment.
Constantine brought unity and control back to Rome with establishment of the Catholic church
The persecution of Christians changed after the
“conversion” of the Roman Emperor Constantine. Constantine “legalized”
Christianity with the Edict of Milan in A.D. 313. Later, in A.D. 325,
Constantine called the Council of Nicaea in an attempt to unify Christianity.
Constantine envisioned Christianity as a religion that could unite the Roman
Empire, which at that time was beginning to fragment and divide.
By the late 3rd century, the city of Rome no longer served as an effective capital for the Emperor and fortifications were being built to protect the cities from barbarian incursions. This is supported by evidence in tree rings that suggest "distinct drying" beginning in 250.
Constantine was able to regain control of the Roman peoples with the creation of the Catholic Church.
Mixture of Roman paganism in church practice and doctrine
While this may
have seemed to be a positive development for the Christian church, the results
were anything but positive. Just as Constantine refused to fully embrace the
Christian faith, but continued many of his pagan beliefs and practices, so the
Christian church that Constantine promoted was a mixture of true Christianity
and Roman paganism.
Constantine found that with the Roman Empire being so vast, expansive, and
diverse, not everyone would agree to forsake his or her religious beliefs to
embrace Christianity. So, Constantine allowed, and even promoted, the
“Christianization” of pagan beliefs. Completely pagan and utterly unbiblical
beliefs were given new “Christian” identities. Some clear examples of this are
1. The Cult of Isis, an Egyptian mother-goddess religion, was absorbed into
Christianity by replacing Isis with Mary. Many of the titles that were used for
Isis, such as “Queen of Heaven,” “Mother of God,” and theotokos
(“God-bearer”) were attached to Mary. Mary was given an exalted role in the
Christian faith, far beyond what the Bible ascribes to her, in order to attract
Isis worshipers to a faith they would not otherwise embrace. Many temples to
Isis were, in fact, converted into temples dedicated to Mary. The first clear
hints of Catholic Mariology occur in the writings of Origen, who lived in
Alexandria, Egypt, which happened to be the focal point of Isis worship.
2. The Cult of Diana (goddess of the hunt) was very prominent in that day and Mary worship also appeased the Romans adoration of the goddess Diana. Paul referred to the customs of this Cult. 1 Cor 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom , neither the churches of God. "In Biblical times when you entered Corinth, at the top of the hill was the temple of Diana. The first sailor from the sea to the top of the hill was given free access to the whole harlot harem of Diana. The prostitutes in the temple all had short hair. It had been given as a sacrifice to the goddess, Diana." (from the THEOLOGICAL DICTIONARY OF THE NEW TESTAMENT). When the Greek whores with their long, flowing hair came to prostitute themselves at the temple, they shaved off their long tresses of hair and cast them into the burning altar at the entryway of the temple as a sacrifice to Diana. "Young girls revered this goddess as guardian of their maiden years, and before marriage they
offered her a lock of their hair, their girdle, and their maiden garment." (Excerpted from UNGER'S BIBLE DICTIONARY)
3. Mithraism was a religion in the Roman Empire in the 1st through 5th
centuries A.D. It was very popular among the Romans, especially among Roman
soldiers, and was possibly the religion of several Roman emperors. While
Mithraism was never given “official” status in the Roman Empire, it was the de
facto official religion until Constantine and succeeding Roman emperors replaced
Mithraism with Christianity. One of the key features of Mithraism was a
sacrificial meal, which involved eating the flesh and drinking the blood of a
bull. Mithras, the god of Mithraism, was “present” in the flesh and blood of the
bull, and when consumed, granted salvation to those who partook of the
sacrificial meal (this is known as theophagy, the eating of one’s god).
Mithraism also had seven “sacraments,” making the similarities between Mithraism
and Roman Catholicism too many to ignore. Constantine and his successors found
an easy substitute for the sacrificial meal of Mithraism in the concept of the
Lord’s Supper/Christian communion. Sadly, some early Christians had already
begun to attach mysticism to the Lord’s Supper, rejecting the biblical concept
of a simple and worshipful remembrance of Christ’s death and shed blood. The
Romanization of the Lord’s Supper made the transition to a sacrificial
consumption of Jesus Christ, now known as the Catholic Mass/Eucharist, complete.
4. Most Roman emperors (and citizens) were henotheists. A henotheist is one who
believes in the existence of many gods, but focuses primarily on one particular
god or considers one particular god supreme over the other gods. For example,
the Roman god Jupiter was supreme over the Roman pantheon of gods. Roman sailors
were often worshipers of Neptune, the god of the oceans. When the Catholic
Church absorbed Roman paganism, it simply replaced the pantheon of gods with the
saints. Just as the Roman pantheon of gods had a god of love, a god of peace, a
god of war, a god of strength, a god of wisdom, etc., so the Catholic Church has
a saint who is “in charge” over each of these, and many other categories. Just
as many Roman cities had a god specific to the city, so the Catholic Church
provided “patron saints” for the cities.
5. The supremacy of the Roman bishop (the papacy) was created with the support
of the Roman emperors. With the city of Rome being the center of government for
the Roman Empire, and with the Roman emperors living in Rome, the city of Rome
rose to prominence in all facets of life. Constantine and his successors gave
their support to the bishop of Rome as the supreme ruler of the church. Of
course, it is best for the unity of the Roman Empire that the government and
state religion be centered in the same location. While most other bishops (and
Christians) resisted the idea of the Roman bishop being supreme, the Roman
bishop eventually rose to supremacy, due to the power and influence of the Roman
emperors. When the Roman Empire collapsed, the popes took on the title that had
previously belonged to the Roman emperors – Pontificus Maximus.
Many more examples are given below. The above should suffice in demonstrating
the true origin of the Catholic Church. Of course the Roman Catholic Church
denies the pagan origin of its beliefs and practices. The Catholic Church
disguises its pagan beliefs under layers of complicated theology. The Catholic
Church excuses and denies its pagan origin beneath the mask of “church
tradition.” Recognizing that many of its beliefs and practices are utterly
foreign to Scripture, the Catholic Church is forced to deny the authority and
sufficiency of Scripture.
The origin of the Catholic Church is the tragic compromise of Christianity with
the pagan religions that surrounded it. Instead of proclaiming the gospel and
converting the pagans, the Catholic Church “Christianized” the pagan religions,
and “paganized” Christianity. By blurring the differences and erasing the
distinctions, yes, the Catholic Church made itself attractive to the people of
the Roman Empire. One result was the Catholic Church becoming the supreme
religion in the “Roman world” for centuries. However, another result was the
most dominant form of Christianity apostatizing from the true gospel of Jesus
Christ and the true proclamation of God’s Word.
The claims of the Catholic church concerning their origins
The Catholic Church claims they originated during the time of Christ and that Peter was the first pope, and they claim an unbroken line of popes from that time on and call this the "Title Deed of the Roman Catholic Church".
Was Peter the first pope?
This claim, in so far as the Bible is concerned, is based upon the following passages of Scripture:
1. “When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that Thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets. He said unto them, But whom say you that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but My Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Matthew 16:13-19
2. “The Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: but I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou are converted, strengthen thy brethren.” Luke 22:31-32
3. “So when they had dined, Jesus said to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, love thou Me more than these? He said unto Him, Yea, Lord; Thou knows that I love Thee. He said unto him, Feed My lambs. He said to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, love thou Met He said unto Him, Yea, Lord; Thou knows that I love Thee. He said unto him, Feed My sheep. He said unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, love thou Met Peter was grieved because He said unto him the third time, Love thou Me? And he said unto Him, Lord, Thou knows all things; Thou knows that I love Thee. Jesus said unto him, Feed My sheep.” John 21:15-17
4. They say Peter was in Rome preaching with Paul and there became the first Bishop of Rome. (There is no scriptural reference)
What, if any thing, was conferred upon Peter by Christ’s words? What privilege, if any, did Peter possess that the other apostles did not have?
Upon this Rock:
The claim is that Peter was elevated above the other Apostles in this passage.
If this is true, then why, shortly after this statement by Jesus, did the Apostles ask, "who will be the greatest?" If Peter had been made head they would not have needed to ask this question.
Later on, Jesus said that they would sit on twelve thrones in heaven. There is no indication of exaltation of Peter.
After that when John and James came with their mother asking to sit on either side of Jesus in the Kingdom, He did not say anything about Peter having a higher place or anything to corroborate what the Catholic church says, but instead said "it (dominion of one over another) would not be so among them".
In Gal 2:7-8 it says Peter was sent to the circumcision but Paul to the gentiles. Peter was NOT made head of a "church".
Paul stood up to Peter in Galatians as well. He was an equal, not a superior.
The evidence in the Bible shows us that Jesus was referring to Himself, not Peter, when He said, "Upon this rock". Peter himself corroborates this in I Peter 2:7-8 and Acts 4:8-12.
Binding on earth and heaven:
Very shortly after Christ said these words to Peter, the Savior bestowed upon the other apostles, and likewise upon the whole church, the power of binding and loosing. He said: “Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou has gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to honour them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to bear the church, lot him be unto thee as a heathen man and a publican. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever you shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Matthew 18:15-18
It is apparent, therefore, that the words in Matthew 16:19, concerning binding and loosing, do not constitute an especial privilege of Peter. They plainly put no difference between him and the other apostles.
When thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren:
The passage, “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: but I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren,” seems to place Peter beneath the other apostles, not above them.
All of them were to be tried, but Peter’s fall and denial of his Lord are alone foretold. The worst sin of the others was that they would be offended because of Christ, and cowardly flee. Peter would therefore stand in greater need of conversion than the others, and when that necessary change should take place, he was to strengthen his brethren who had not fallen as he bad, to save them, no doubt, from falling as he had done.
Certainly to strengthen them by confession of his weakness in denying the Lord, is not suggestive of exercising authority over them.
Feed My sheep:
The words in this passage, “Feed My sheep,” most certainly confer no privilege upon Peter above the other apostles.
The privilege of feeding the sheep was conferred upon even the local elders of the church. The apostle Paul, addressing, at Miletus, the elders of the church of Ephesus, said, “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which He hath purchased with His own blood.” Acts 20:28
And the apostle Peter himself gave a similar exhortation: “The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, you shall receive a crown of glory that fades not away.” 1 Peter 5:1-4
Hence when Christ said to Peter, “Feed My sheep,” these words bestowed upon him no privilege that was not given to the other apostles, and to the elders of all the churches.
Was Peter in Rome?
There is no biblical account of Peter being at Rome.
When Paul is writing to the Romans, he addresses everyone he knows to be there in chapter 16, oddly enough, Peter is missing.
Peter was the apostle to the Jews (Gal. 2:7-8) while Paul was the Apostle to the Gentiles (Rom. 11:13). If Christians were to follow any apostle, it should be the one who wrote the letter to them; Paul, not Peter.
Peter wrote from Babylon (1 Peter 5:13). Catholics try to say that this is a "secret code word" for "Rome." Even if that were the case (which it is not), they Identify Roman Catholicism as the antiChrist system of Rev. 17:5 - "MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH."
Peter was married (1 Cor. 9:5; Matt. 8:14) which we all know does not make for a good Pope. Also, 1 Tim. 3:2-4 makes the papacy and the catholic clergy look pretty bad and 1 Tim. 4:1-4 identifies Catholic doctrine as "doctrines of devils".
This proves that Peter could not have been the first "Bishop of Rome".
Is the "title deed" a reality?
The Roman Catholic church claims it has an "Unbroken List of Popes from Peter to Today." It calls this List "the Title Deed of the Roman Catholic Church."
Much of history is written with bias for the reputation and exaltation of the leaders, especially so with the Catholic church. During the last 1500 years the Catholic church was VERY powerful and destroyed documentation (evidence on web), rewriting history to their liking. Even today in the information age history is being written with lies (the media).
Funny thing is that in just one example we see that the Catholic church doesn't have all it's ducks in a row:
In 1947, the Vatican made changes regarding 74 popes. It removed "the little man who never was." Poor "pope" Donus had been listed as a pope in 973. But in 1947 the Vatican dropped him from its "unbroken line" - its glorious "Title Deed." Why? Because they found he had never even existed!
In addition, the Vatican dropped six "popes," and removed the "sainthood" of four others!
Title Deed? I think not.
Did the Catholic church originate from the time of Jesus?
Maybe, but Peter was not the first Pope, and it was not of Christ. It's more likely that this is what is being referred to by John, here:
1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out , that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
The following scriptures warn of false teachers even in that day: 1 Tim 1, 2 Tim 2:14, Col 2, Rom 16:16-18, 2 Cor 11, 2 Pet 2, Galatians 1:6-9
ROMAN HISTORY OF RELIGIOUS POLITICAL LEADERS
Religious leaders were political leaders in the Roman Republic. The priesthoods of public religion were held by members of the elite classes. There was no principle analogous to "separation of church and state" in ancient Rome. During the Roman Republic (509–27 BC), the same men who were elected public officials might also serve as augurs and pontiffs. Priests married, raised families, and led politically active lives. 73 bc - Julius Caesar became Pontifex Maximus (the highest level priest office) before he was elected consul.
At the time of Jesus, the emperor was considered divine and even given the title Dominus et Deus (Lord and God). Roman subjects worshiped the emperor as a god.
The augurs read the will of the gods and supervised the marking of boundaries as a reflection of universal order, thus sanctioning Roman expansionism as a matter of divine destiny. The Roman triumph was at its core a religious procession in which the victorious general displayed his piety and his willingness to serve the public good by dedicating a portion of his spoils to the gods, especially Jupiter, who embodied just rule. As a result of the Punic Wars (264–146 BC), when Rome struggled to establish itself as a dominant power, many new temples were built by magistrates in fulfillment of a vow to a deity for assuring their military success. Rome always had a (polytheistic/henotheistic) religious political backing.
Superstitious Romans (like Constantine) were blaming the falling empire on Christianity and angered gods, but doubt festered because Christians could not be wiped out.
Paul's Mars hill sermon talks about the "unknown god" and the superstitious paranoia of the people. Acts 17:22-23 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. 23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD . Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
The paranoia of the people led to the allowing of pagan ritual in Christianity and the use of many ungodly rituals and practices in the Catholic Church.
Constantine was the very first pope
Constantine Professed to be a Christian. Whether on not constantine really believed is highly debatable (and has been debated by many). It's more likely he used it as a power grab, and also to "appease the gods" since they could not eradicate Christianity (to ease the paranoia). It was a political move. It established CONTROL over the masses. -= Rome was failing =-
In practice, Emperor Constantine was the first acting Pope of the governmental Catholic church. The Nicaean Creed is the first official Catholic document and marks the beginning of the Catholic church as an organization. The Emperor himself presided, ‘like some heavenly messenger of God’ wrote Eusebius, Bishop of Caesarea.
THE INCEPTION AND HISTORY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
The following is a list walking through the doctrines embraced by the Catholic Church over the last 1700 years, and some of the major events that took place through those years.
In 325 AD the Council of Nicaea marked the inception of the Catholic Church, led by the reigning Roman Emperor Constantine
Late Antiquity (325–381) major councils: Nicaea I · Constantinople I
The elevation of Mary began prior to the inception of the Catholic Church. Evidence suggests that it began in the first few centuries and, as noted above, may have been to appease the "loss" of the female deities Isis and Diana. The main push of Constantine was to give everyone a way to feel comfortable converting to his paganized "Christianity", in order to re-establish control over the collapsing Roman Empire.
Infant baptism and baptism with a Triune formula were established prior to Constantine, in the second and third centuries, and were embraced by the Catholic Church at its inception.
Prayers for the dead: began about A.D. 300
Making the sign of the cross: A.D. 300
Wax candles: about A.D. 320
- Roman pagan culture also used candles in religious practice. Lit candles were used in religious and military processions, showing the divine presence, aid, or favor of the gods. With the development of emperor worship, candles were also lit near his image as a sign of respect and reverence. - Remember that by the time of Jesus, the emperor was considered divine and even given the titles, Pontifex Maximus (High Priest) and Dominus et Deus (Lord and God).
Veneration (great respect; reverence) of angels and dead saints, and use of images: A.D. 375
Gothic war era - 376
Collapse of Rome from 300-400 AD. The Roman Empire was split into the Eastern and Western Empires
In 380, mainstream Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire.
In 385, this new legal authority of the Church resulted in the first use of capital punishment being pronounced as a sentence upon a Christian 'heretic', namely Priscillian. <-- in this case, a true heretic
The Mass, as a daily celebration: A.D. 394
- The Mass, developed gradually as a sacrifice and attendance was made obligatory in the 11th century.
- This denies that Jesus paid the full price!
- Roman Catholicism denies this fundamental teaching and deceives its people into believing that the sacrifice of the Mass satisfied God's wrath not only for the sins of the living but also for the sins of the dead - AD 1545 below - (Canon 3, Council of Trent). Catholics are cursed with anathema (abomination) by their church if they claim they are saved from God's wrath, - (Canon 30, Council of Trent). Catholics know Jesus only as a "gate opener" to heaven. For Catholics to go through the gates of heaven they must save themselves through the Mass and sacraments.
Early Middle Ages (431–870) Ephesus · Chalcedon · Constantinople II · Constantinople III · Nicaea II · Constantinople IV
Beginning of the exaltation of Mary, the term “Mother of God” first applied to her by the Council of Ephesus: A.D. 431
Byzantine empire era - The Byzantine Empire was the predominantly Greek-speaking continuation of the eastern half of the Roman Empire during Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages. Its capital city was Constantinople, originally known as Byzantium.
By 500 AD the Catholic church had already grown wealthy
The subjects of the Roman empire were now Catholics
Priests began to dress differently from laymen: A.D. 500
Extreme Unction: A.D. 526
- Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick.
The doctrine of Purgatory, established by Gregory I: A.D. 593
Latin language, used in prayer and worship, imposed by Gregory I: A.D. 600
- Likely to create more "mystery and mysticism" to keep the general people under control
Prayers directed to Mary, dead saints, and angels: about A.D. 600
Beginning of Islam - early 7th century
Title of pope, or universal bishop, given to Boniface III by emperor Phocas: A.D. 607
Kissing the pope’s foot, began with Pope Constantine: A.D. 709
Temporal power of the popes, conferred by Pepin, king of the Franks: A.D. 750
- Worldly power, as contrasted with spiritual power
Worship of the cross, images, and relics: authorized in A.D. 786
Decline of Roman culture almost complete by this time
Charlemagne crowned king of Holy Roman Empire (aka: of the German nation): AD 800
- The Holy Roman Empire saved the church and Rome, again, like creating Catholic church held it together "religiously" in the beginning.
Holy water, mixed with a pinch of salt and blessed by a priest: A.D. 850
Worship of St. Joseph: A.D. 890
College of Cardinals established: A.D. 927
The Ottonian state (King Otto crowned in 962) in the mid 900's, is considered the first Reich of Germany
Baptism of bells, instituted by pope John XIII: A.D. 965
- This consists of pouring holy water on new bells for the bell tower - to bless it
Canonization of dead saints, first by Pope John XV: A.D. 995
- Declares a deceased person to be a saint
Fasting on Fridays and during Lent: A.D. 998
- Catholics still abstain from meat on fridays
The Mass, developed gradually as a sacrifice, attendance made obligatory in the 11th century
- As stated above, this denies that Jesus paid the full price and goes against scripture
Celibacy of the priesthood, decreed by pope Gregory VII (Hildebrand): A.D. 1079
- 1 Tim 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3 Forbidding to marry , and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
- Catholics forbid marriage for clergy.
- Catholics abstain from meats on fridays.
The Rosary, mechanical praying with beads, invented by Peter the Hermit: A.D. 1090
The Crusades era
- The Crusades were organized in order to wipe out Islam originally but became a way (masquerading as Crusaders) to wipe out opposing Christians who would not bow to the Catholic Church
Middle Ages (1122–1517) Lateran I · Lateran II · Lateran III · Lateran IV · Lyon I · Lyon II · Vienne · Constance · Florence · Lateran V
The Inquisition instituted: A.D. 1184
- Purportedly used to control executions widely done by local magistrates
- Catholic leaders used it to execute enemies of the church
- Hiding atrocities behind "legal" authority
The Catholic Church used the label "heretic" to kill all those who opposed her
The following, like most documentation that goes against the Catholic Church, is almost impossible to verify due to the destruction of all opposing people and materials by the all-powerful Catholic Church of the Dark Ages. There is no question that these things happened, however, due to the writings and historical evidences that still remain.
- "For professing faith contrary to the Church of Rome, history records the martyrdom of more than one hundred million people." Brief Bible Studies, p. 16
- "We must rank the Inquisition ... as among the darkest blots on record of mankind."Will Durant, The Story of Civilization, vol. 4, p. 78
- "That the Church of Rome has shed more innocent blood than any other institution that has ever existed among mankind will be questioned by no Protestant who has a complete knowledge of history. It is impossible to form a complete conception of the multitude of her victims, and it is quite certain that no powers of imagination can adequately realize their sufferings." W. E. H. Leeky, History of the Rise and Influence of the Spirit of Rationalism in Europe, Vol. 2:32, 1910 edition
- In the Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 12, page 266, contains a lengthy article describing the authority of the Roman Catholic Church in punishing 'heretics', whose only crime was that they were faithful Bible believers
- Already in 385 C.E. the first Christians, the Spanish Priscillianus and six followers, were beheaded for heresy in Trier/Germany [DO26]
- Manichaean heresy: a crypto-Christian sect who practiced birth control was exterminated in huge campaigns all over the Roman empire between 372 C.E. and 444 C.E. Numerous thousands of victims. [NC]
- Albigensians: the first Crusade intended to slay other Christians. [DO29] =- The Albigensians...viewed themselves as good Christians, but would not accept roman Catholic rule, and taxes, and prohibition of birth control. [NC]
- Begin of violence: on command of pope Innocent III (greatest single pre-nazi mass murderer) in 1209. Bezirs (today France) 7/22/1209 destroyed, all the inhabitants were slaughtered. Victims (including Catholics refusing to turn over their heretic neighbours and friends) 20,000-70,000. [WW179-181]
- Carcassonne 8/15/1209, thousands slain. Other cities followed. [WW181]
- Subsequent 20 years of war until nearly all Cathars (probably half the population of the Languedoc, today southern France) were exterminated. [WW183]
- After the war ended (1229) the Inquisition was founded 1232 to search and destroy surviving/hiding heretics. Last Cathars burned at the stake 1324. [WW183]
- Estimated one million victims (cathar heresy alone), [WW183]
- Other heresies: Waldensians, Paulikians, Runcarians, Josephites, and many others. Most of these sects exterminated, (I believe some Waldensians live today, yet they had to endure 600 years of persecution) I estimate at least hundred thousand victims (including the Spanish inquisition but excluding victims in the New World).
- Spanish Inquisitor Torquemada alone allegedly responsible for 10,220 burnings. [DO28]
- John Huss, a critic of papal infallibility and indulgences, was burned at the stake in 1415. [LI475-522]
- University professor B.Hubmaier burned at the stake 1538 in Vienna. [DO59]
- Giordano Bruno, Dominican monk, after having been incarcerated for seven years, was burned at the stake for heresy on the Campo dei Fiori (Rome) on 2/17/1600
- "Witches" killed from the beginning of Christianity to 1484 probably more than several thousand.
- In the era of witch hunting (1484-1750) according to modern scholars several hundred thousand (about 80% female) burned at the stake or hanged. [WV]
- [DA] K.Deschner, Abermals krhte der Hahn, Stuttgart 1962.
- [DO] K.Deschner, Opus Diaboli, Reinbek 1987.
- [EC] P.W.Edbury, Crusade and Settlement, Cardiff Univ. Press 1985.
- [EJ] S.Eidelberg, The Jews and the Crusaders, Madison 1977.
- [LI] H.C.Lea, The Inquisition of the Middle Ages, New York 1961.
- [MM] M.Margolis, A.Marx, A History of the Jewish People.
- [MV] A.Manhattan, The Vatican’s Holocaust, Springfield 1986. See also V.Dedijer, The Yugoslav Auschwitz and the Vatican, Buffalo NY, 1992.
- [NC] J.T.Noonan, Contraception: A History of its Treatment by the Catholic Theologians and Canonists, Cambridge/Mass., 1992.
- [S2] Newscast of S2 Aktuell, Germany, 10/10/96, 12:00.
- [SH] D.Stannard, American Holocaust, Oxford University Press 1992.
- [SP] German news magazine Der Spiegel, no.49, 12/2/1996.
- [TA] A True Account of the Most Considerable Occurrences that have Hapned in the Warre Between the English and the Indians in New England, London 1676.
- [TG] F.Turner, Beyond Geography, New York 1980.
- [WW] H.Wollschlger: Die bewaffneten Wallfahrten gen Jerusalem, Zrich 1973. (This is in german and what is worse, it is out of print. But it is an excellent read about the crusades and includes a full list of original medieval Christian chroniclers' writings).
- [WV] Estimates on the number of executed witches:
- N.Cohn, Europe's Inner Demons: An Enquiry Inspired by the Great Witch Hunt, Frogmore 1976, 253.
- R.H.Robbins, The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Demonology, New York 1959, 180.
- J.B.Russell, Witchcraft in the Middle Ages, Ithaca/NY 1972, 39.
- H.Zwetsloot, Friedrich Spee und die Hexenprozesse, Trier 1954, 56.
Sale of Indulgences: A.D. 1190
Transubstantiation, proclaimed by Pope Innocent III: A.D. 1215
- The bread and wine given at Communion become the body and blood of Jesus Christ when they are blessed
Auricular Confession of sins to a priest instead of to God, instituted by Pope Innocent III, in Lateran Council: A.D. 1215
Adoration of the wafer (Host), decreed by Pope Honorius III: A.D. 1220
Bible forbidden to laymen, placed on the Index of Forbidden Books by the Council of Toulouse: A.D. 1229
The Scapular (sacrament gown), invented by Simon Stock, an English monk: A.D. 1251
Cup forbidden to the people at communion by Council of Constance: A.D. 1414
Purgatory proclaimed as a dogma (accepted without doubt) by the Council of Florence: A.D. 1439
The doctrine of Seven Sacraments (salvation steps) affirmed: A.D. 1439
The followers of John Wycliffe undertook the first complete English translations of the Christian scriptures in the 15th century. These translations were banned in 1409
The Ave Maria (Hail Mary) (part of the last half was completed 50 years later and approved by Pope Sixtus V at the end of the 16th century): A.D. 1508
- Basically a prayer asking for the intercession of the Virgin Mary
PROTESTANT REFORMATION - 1517
Hans Hillerbrand - "Why does the pope, whose wealth today is greater than the wealth of the richest Crassus, build the basilica of St. Peter with the money of poor believers rather than with his own money?"
Construction of the present basilica, replacing the Old St. Peter's Basilica of the 4th century AD, began on 18 April 1506 and was completed on 18 November 1626
Martin Luther objected to a saying attributed to Johann Tetzel that "As soon as the coin in the coffer rings, the soul from purgatory [also attested as 'into heaven'] springs."
He insisted that, since forgiveness was God's alone to grant, those who claimed that indulgences absolved buyers from all punishments and granted them salvation were in error. Christians, he said, must not slacken in following Christ on account of such false assurances.
The Roman Catholic Church responded with a Counter-Reformation initiated by the Council of Trent and spearheaded by the new order of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) specifically organized to counter the Protestant movement.
William Tyndale, an English contemporary of Martin Luther, undertook a translation of the New Testament: AD 1525
Jesuit order founded by Loyola: A.D. 1534
- The Society of Jesus is consecrated under the patronage of Madonna Della Strada, a title of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Tyndale's New Testament and his incomplete work on the Old Testament became the basis for the Great Bible: AD 1539
Modern Era and Contemporary Era (1545–1870) Trent · Vatican I
Tradition declared of equal authority with the Bible by the Council of Trent: A.D. 1545
Apocryphal books added to the Bible by the Council of Trent: A.D. 1546
Creed of pope Pius IV imposed as the official creed: A.D. 1560
- Tridentine Creed - a personal profession of faith according to a prescribed formula
King James Bible translated and printed - begun in 1604 and completed in 1611
- The original Old Testament Hebrew was translated into what is called the Masoretic Text by a group of Jews known as the Masoretes and that text was used to create the English translation. The New Testament is translated into English based mostly on the Textus Receptus (a collection of the original Greek texts) which was compiled by Dutch Catholic scholar Desiderius Erasmus.
Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary, proclaimed by Pope Pius IX: A.D. 1854
Syllabus of Errors, proclaimed by Pope Pius IX and ratified by the Vatican Council; condemned freedom of religion, conscience, speech, press, and scientific discoveries which are disapproved by the Roman Church; asserted the pope’s temporal authority over all civil rulers: A.D. 1864
Infallibility of the pope in matters of faith and morals, proclaimed by the Vatican Council: A.D. 1870
Germany's second Reich (about 50 years)
Public Schools condemned by Pope Pius XI: A.D. 1930
Germany's third Reich 1933 - World War 2
Assumption of the Virgin Mary (bodily ascension into heaven shortly after her death), proclaimed by Pope Pius XII: A.D. 1950
- Mary was not a virgin when she died, she was only a virgin until after Jesus was born.
- Mark 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
- Matt 1:25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
- Jesus had brothers and sisters from Mary, and Joseph did "know" her (consummated the marriage) after Christ was born.
Mary proclaimed Mother of the Church by Pope Paul VI: A.D. 1965
Today - Vatican II
Catholics must expiate their own sins. "This may be done through the sorrows, miseries and trials of this life and, above all, through death. Otherwise the expiation must be made in the next life through fire and torments of purifying punishments" (Vatican Council II)
The great lie that the devil will use to fool the world, including Catholics and professing Christians
Jesus said He was the only way to salvation (John 14:6). Vatican II denies this by stating, "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst who are the Muslems."
The Catholic Church embraces Islam as people who are included in the "plan of salvation". This is the devils masterpiece! This is the GREAT LIE!
Roman Catholic Church maintains control of its people through legalistic rituals, sacraments and threats of anathema's (a formal curse by a pope or a council of the Church). The biblical Jesus saves believers from the bondage of sin.
The wealth of the Catholic Church is very massive now (impossible to calculate how much wealth) and is very corrupt.
The Vatican teaches that salvation is through the church.
- According to the Catholic church you must do all of the following in order to receive salvation:
- Confess your sins to a Roman Catholic priest.
- "Receive" all appropriate Roman Catholic sacraments.
- Believe that Grace comes only via Rome's sacraments, and only through Mary.
- Buy or earn as many indulgences as possible so as to avoid Purgatory.
- Believe that Grace can only be distributed to you by Mary.
- Attend the Roman Catholic Mass on all Sundays and holy days.
- Obey all of Rome's rules (i.e., precepts of the Church).
- Be a member of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Submit yourself to the Pope.
- The bible teaches that you must believe in Jesus and obey the Gospel for salvation, and that it's by the grace of God, not Mary or Rome, that we are saved. All of the above only make you subservient to the Roman Catholic church and do not ensure your place with God at all.
- But, the Roman Catholic leaders today are even saying that you don’t really need to believe in Jesus Christ to be saved!
- Article #841 of the Catechism says: "The Church's relationship with the Muslims. 'The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day.'" This means that the Catholic church believes that the Muslims will be saved just like anyone else even though Muslims don't believe in Jesus, and that they worship the same God that we all do even though Allah was originally a pagan moon god.
- Muslims say you don’t need to believe in Jesus Christ to be saved! Muslims will admit that Jesus Christ was a true prophet, but deny that He was the Messiah (although some Western Muslims will say He was anointed), they will deny that He was God manifested in the flesh as of the Son of God (John 1:14), and they will deny that He died on the cross and rose again. That belief cannot be truth because Jesus Christ Himself said He was the Messiah, and said He was the Son of God!
- John 4:26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.
- John 9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? 36 He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? 37 And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee.
Mark 14:61 Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
62 And Jesus said, I am
- That would make Him a false prophet according to the Muslim beliefs! How twisted is that? But it’s a lie believed by one and a half billion people. We absolutely must believe that Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh, was crucified for our sins and rose again. This is the gospel! And, Jesus Christ himself said we have to believe in Him!
- John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
- Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
- There is no salvation in any other name but Jesus! Not Mohammed, not Buddha; no other name...
- Click here to read more about the Great Lie
THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS THE GREAT WHORE OF REVELATION -
and she is named THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS
03 Sep 2000 (AP) VATICAN CITY (AP) - One of Pope John Paul II's closest aides has written to bishops worldwide declaring that the Catholic church is the “mother” of other Christian churches … In the document, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger told the bishops that it was incorrect to refer to Christian churches, ranging from Orthodox to Protestant, as “sister” churches of the Catholic church ... stating that the term “sister” puts them on an equal footing and they are not “sisters” but the Catholic church is the “mother”.
The Roman Catholic church is the self proclaimed “mother” of all churches. And this is actually true for most western faiths.
She is the Great Whore of Revelation (see Chapter 7 - Prophecy and the Present Times), who is named the "Mother of Harlots and Abominations of the earth"
So why are the daughters called Harlots? Didn't the "daughters" (Protestant, Methodist, Lutheran, etc.) actually drop away from the Catholic church because they disagreed with the Vatican?
Yes, most of the churches of western faiths broke away from the Catholic church because they knew the error of the Vatican. The problem is that most of them did not return completely to the truth as taught by Jesus and the Apostles. And since that time many have allowed compromise after compromise over the years that have taken them even further from the truth.
The doctrine of the daughters of the great whore, the Harlots... Watered down "Churchianity"
Most of the false doctrines, traditions and practices of Christian Churches today can be traced to Catholic doctrine.
- Pastoral authority in Christian churches is very pope-like. Many Christians don't question the doctrine and teaching of their Pastor and reverence his authority much like the Pope is reverenced by Catholics.
- Pope-like authority of the Pastoral leader and priest-like authority of other church leaders
- Tradition is given the same value as Biblical teaching in myriads of theological doctrines.
- The Catholic Church teaches today that tradition even surpasses some Biblical doctrine
- Prosperity preaching, or the teaching that the more you are "good" the more you will be prosperous and wealthy in this life.
- Much like the Catholic teaching of purgatory and good works shortening your time there
- "Going to church" mentality as opposed to repentance and obedience to Jesus.
- Catholic teaching that being a member of the church and obeying its precepts is what brings salvation
- Just believe. You don't need to know anything, and nothing needs to be done or changed, just believe.
- Much like the Catholic teaching of confesion, indulgences, and the mysticism of rituals
- Baptism with a Triune formula instead of in Jesus name as was done throughout the New Testament.
- Every baptism in the New Testament was done in the name of Jesus - the Catholic Church changed this at it's inception
- We are saved from hell, as opposed to saved from our sin.
- Much like purgatory doctrine
- Anything is ok because Jesus loves us just the way we are.
- Much like the Catholic teaching of confesion and indulgences
- We can't judge others and should accept them no matter what.
- Very missunderstood in both Catholic and Protestant churches
- The Greatest Lie! - Interfaithism - That you can worship God without Jesus
- A great many so-called Christian churches are following the Catholic Church in this apostasy!
But, weren't the men of the Reformation truly men who loved the Lord?
The answer lies not in where they started, but where they are now. Even if they weren't as bad in the beginning, they have BECOME the whore and the daughters. Some people certainly loved the Lord along the way, but it's what's happened in most churches and where they are today that matters.
Compromise after compromise has led to today's lukewarm, watered-down "Churchianity".
Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot : I would thou wert cold or hot. 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot , I will spue thee out of my mouth. 17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
That is a picture of the Church today. Remember, this is not to unbelievers, but this is addressed to the church of the Laodiceans! These are professing believers! And the Christian Churches of today look just like it...
Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.
This does not mean that every person in the Churches of today is guilty of being luke-warm, this is just the general attitude of so many Church leaders and the people in them.
Just as God tells the people who love Him that are still in the Catholic Church to "come out of her" in Rev 18:4, we also must come out of the daughters...
It's a very humanistic religion. Most Christians attitude is, "What can God do for me?" Instead, it should be, "Thank you Lord for your mercy and grace, for sacrificing yourself as payment for my sins! Forgive me for my pride and selfishness and disobedience. Now, I wish to please you and obey you. What can I do for you?" This is not a prayer I'm asking you to pray, this is the mentality of a true Christian who understands that God is a Holy God who cannot look upon sin, who came to earth as a man and died in our place. The answer to, "What can I do for the Lord", is found in His word.
We're not righteous people who need to be saved from hell, we're sinners who need to be saved from our sin!
Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
I mean, do we believe that Adam's sin is what condemns us? Or do we believe we're sinners, guilty of disobeying God, our maker?
Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
I heard a sermon a few years ago that I like to use as an example of today's compromised church. Pastor Phil Reynolds of the Volusia County Baptist Church preached a sermon emphasizing that you only need believe and he pointedly said, "There is nothing else that needs to be said. It's not necessary to sit down for hours with someone and explain anything else, all you have to do is believe". He used the salvation of the jailer in Acts 16:31 as proof for this statement. If you read the next two verses you'll understand the point I'm making about this false doctrine. 32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized , he and all his, straightway. If there was nothing else that needed to be said and it wasn't necessary to sit down with them, then what was the "word of the Lord" they spake unto him? And why did he and all his house get baptized? I
truly believe I was the only one in the entire congregation who questioned the pastors teaching that day.
Tradition should be questioned! There are many examples of "tradition" being spoken against in the New Testament. Here's a couple of them:
Matt 15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition ? 4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. 5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; 6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition . 7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Is everything really ok? Do we just live how we want because Christ died for our sins? Anything is ok because Jesus loves us just the way we are?
God forbid! No no no no no!!
Hebrews 10:23-31 tells us that if we do that, we're trampling under foot the Son of God! We're despising His grace!
Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) 24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. 26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will
recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
God is a holy God! He's pure, righteous, just, true!
1 Peter 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16 Because it is written, Be ye holy ; for I am holy.
Hab 1:13 You are of purer eyes than to behold evil, And cannot look on wickedness.
We should have tremendous respect for Him! He is the Mighty God! He is a holy God who put on flesh and became a man with all the same temptations we have, but He did not sin! And then He died in our place even though He can't stand to look upon evil! Praise His holy name!
Phil 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
2 Peter 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
Prov 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
Prov 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
Ps 97:10 Ye that love the LORD, hate evil
If we profess to love God, we want to please Him, right? We won't obey our lusts, but will strive to walk in the Spirit and exhibit the fruit of the Spirit. And we should HATE evil!
Zech 8:17 And let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbour; and love no false oath: for all these are things that I hate , saith the LORD.
Rev 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. (This doctrine of the Nicolaitans is the teaching that sexual immorality is ok, just like today's teaching that being gay is ok)
- 2 Timothy 2:19 Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
1 John 2:15 Love not the world , neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
Gal 5:19 The lusts of the flesh are:
Uncleanness (impurity; physical or moral)
Lasciviousness (lacking moral restraints; especially sexual)
Variance (quarreling or contentious)
Seditions (disunion; controversy and uprising)
Heresies (going against God)
Revelings (letting loose)
- Gal 5:21 ...they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
- Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
- Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
- Galatians 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
- Heb 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
DO NOT BE DECEIVED!
Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
We're REVOLTED by some sin (pedophilia, murder) but not other sin. Why not? We should be revolted by ALL SIN!
This generation seems to believe because God is loving that He won't cast them into hell no matter what they do! Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Jesus questions why we would not obey Him...
Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
If we love God, and profess to know Him, why wouldn't we obey Him?
Matt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord , shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord , have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
We cannot take a few truths out of the Bible and ignore the rest of it. Many people like to justify themselves by hanging on the fact that God saved us by His grace. It is by grace that we are saved, but God expects us to obey Him and love Him with all our heart, mind and strength. John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. If we’re looking for excuses, God sees our inner hearts and we can’t hide from Him. We can fool other people and can even fool ourselves if we really want to, but do we really want to do that? Do we really want to justify ourselves instead of pleasing our God and trying to do His will?
There is great danger in taking scripture verses out of context and misinterpreting them!
For example: John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. Basically what some people teach is that the Bible says that if we believe, we are saved. That's true! It does say that. Here in John it says that if we eat and drink of the body of Jesus, we're saved. Does this mean that all we have to do is take communion (symbolically eat and drink of his body) to be saved? If we wanted to take this verse and make a doctrine of it, we could. But that would be silly, wouldn't it? So why do we allow people to deceive us with similar types of doctrine? We have to take the Bible as a whole and obey God in every thing He says, not just pieces of it.
It's important to understand that Jesus is the body of God manifest in the flesh and that He came to the earth as a man, born of a woman as we are, to die in our place. Sin began with Eve when she believed Satan and ate of the tree that God commanded not to. Adam took the apple and listened to the voice of his wife instead of God and ate as well (Genesis 3:17 and 1 Timothy 2:14). The penalty for sin is death, and Jesus paid the price for us. He died, was buried, and rose again. That, is the gospel. He will return to gather those who believe this and turn away from sin (repentance) to follow the Lord in obedience. That, is the way to salvation.
The Bible teaches us that it's not works that save us, but it is works that follow salvation. It's the fruit that we bear, that shows the Love of God in us.
Jesus said, "Matt 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."
Paul gives us an example of what the fruit of the Spirit is, "Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh."
Faith without works is dead. Faith without works is nothing! If you say you have faith and have no works, your faith is dead!
James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? 17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. 19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? 23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed
unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. 24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. 25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
The fulfilling of the law of grace is:
Matt 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
If we truly love God, we will obey Him and strive to please Him.
Matt 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Obedience is, in a huge way, helping others.
Matt 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross , and follow me.
Let's turn away from our fleshly lusts and desires to turn and follow the Lord, giving back that gift He so graciously gave us, by giving to others!
Love God, love His truth, and turn from the lies of Satan and his false churches!
2 Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
2 Thess 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth , that they might be saved. 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
I apologize if I'm insulting your beliefs but if you will take the time to read the bible yourself and really search for the truth, not justification of doctrine, you will find truth! If you read it with the intent of justifying your doctrine, guess what? You'll find that too. I realize this is a bit harsh and may be offensive to some, but I have to ask why did God call the Great Whore the Mother of Harlots? We know who the Great Whore is, and it's only a small logical step to find the daughters. I know that some people can read the bible and only find what they want to see. The mystery of God separates the truth seekers from the excuse seekers. If you don't love the truth and really want to follow the will of God, if you want to be saved but aren't willing to give up everything that you want and give it all to God, what are you really doing? I say these things to make you think! I hope to shock you into thinking really hard about
what salvation means, who God is, and if you want to be with Him or not when this is all over! What, exactly, do you think is too high of a price for eternal life full of joy and peace?
I simply hope that you will seek God and His truth with all your heart and all your soul! Ensure your own salvation! Every person who believes there is a God is faced with one inescapable, ultimate question: "What must I do to be saved?!" All other questions pale to insignificance in light of this one. If you have not yet considered it, one day you will! But by then it may be too late for the answer to do you any good. Do you really know what you must do to be saved, to have assurance of a place in Heaven? Read the bible and seek the Truth! Please!
Some pages on this site that discuss these things: